Sunday, November 18, 2007

Co-Founder: Kevin McGarvey

What Do I Do?

I am an emergency physician and entrepreneur with interest in growing the young biotech community in the Colorado Front Range. Currently, I am a co-founder of ValveXchange, Inc. and aiding the development of a novel two-piece tissue heart valve that may revolutionize the way heart valve disease is currently treated. In addition to this startup, I am also co-founder of WildernessMedventures with a team of 3 emergency physicians seeking to create medical education courses for health care professionals and adventurers interested in learning how to diagnose and treat illnesses and injuries in the remote setting. We are holding our first course in February 2008 in Patagonia, Chile.

Experience

  • Emergency Physician - Lutheran and Good Samaritan Hospitals
  • Co-Founder and VP Strategic Planning - ValveXchange
  • Co-Founder and Instructor - Wilderness Medventures
  • MEDSTAR Honduras - Founder
  • The DM^2: A digital camera-guided airway device – Co-inventor
  • Springmill Venture Partners, LLC – Biomedical Due Diligence Consultant
  • Indiana University MD/MBA Physician Leaders Forum - Founder
Education
  • University of Arizona - Emergency Medicine Residency
  • MBA, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business
  • MD, Indiana University School of Medicine
  • BA, Indiana University, BA, Religious Studies and Management
Why do I spend my valuable time at BioBeers?

I want to develop long-term friendships and business relationships with people who share my passion for biomedical entrepreneurship. I think Colorado will grow tremendously in the next several decades as a dominant leader in biotech and health care startups. Biobeers is a casual, fun way for future bio-leaders of Colorado to get together over a beer to forge the ideas and relationships which will fuel the Front Range bioscience community. Bringing the young, up-and-comer bio-entrepreneurs from a myriad of backgrounds together could create some pretty powerful stuff. I’m excited to see where this event is a few years from now!
Life gets busy, BioBeers provides a regular opportunity to commune with friends that share similar addictions: passion for the biosciences, Colorado and entrepreneurship. I am confident that this group of young, although not as young as we used to be, bio-pioneers will push back the frontiers of bioscience in Colorado. I am honored to be involved.

My vision of the Colorado life science landscape 2008-2018

As a recent transplant to Colorado, I have come across numerous cool, creative minds starting off their amazing careers in bioscience. All have incredible backgrounds and big ideas on how they can potentially innovate the landscape of bioscience today. These are people I want to meet! I believe the connections I make now will impact the future of bioscience in Colorado for many years to come. My dream is that BioBeers could be a catalyst for integrating young minds in bioscience toward something powerful that changes the face of bioscience and health care.

Say Cheese!



View Kevin McGarvey, MD MBA's profile on LinkedIn

No comments: